Wednesday, December 8, 2010

VO2 Max Training

As mentioned in my previous post, my goal is to train only with kettlebells for my figure competition. One of my pivotal training protocols is Kenneth Jay's Vo2Max using both the kettlebell snatch and viking push press ( when my hands need recovery).


The basics of the Vo2Max and why I have incorporated it into my training:


1: Forges a heart of elastic steel- If you want to increase your maximal oxygen uptake (the gold standard of all athletics), one must train at an intensity that elicits your maximal oxygen uptake. So fast "sprints" vs. long, low- intensity training.

2: The snatch will shred you up- This kettlebell exercise is ballistic and intense. It is a perfect example of "high intensity interval training" which burns way more calories compared to steady state cardio training (running, biking, etc). Once you have mastered how to "tame the arch" then you take your training to the next level forging ripped abs, shedding inches, lean and toned arms, canon ball shoulders, and a sexy back. Not to mention a sweet butt and awesome legs.

3: I'ts freakin cold outside- Yes, so I'm finally beginning to enjoy running but now its winter so I need cardio that will strengthen, not only my lungs and heart, but also my body, hence the VO2 protocol. If you are a runner or really any type of athlete and you want to improve your PR then get into VO2 Max training with kettlebells. You won't regret it! No other cross-training method carries over better to athletic performance. Results are proven by olympic athletes in action! I cannot wait to see how this has helped my running when I train for my first sprint triathlon!


How it works:


5 Minute Cadence Test:


1st min: snatch every 7 sec on stronger side

2nd min: snatch every 6 sec on other side

3rd min: snatch every 5 sec on first side

4th min: snatch every 4 sec on other side

5th min: go all out on stronger side and count your total reps. Total reps divided by 4 and round up. My number is 7

15:15 work:rest ratio- 15 secs of snatching to hit your number: 15 secs of rest: repeat on other side.

Goal: 80 sets of 7! I am currently on set 62 with a 12kg. I completed 80 sets with the 18lb already. I do this 2x per week.

Next step: Either start over going heavier (unlikely for me), retest cadence and work towards 80 sets of 8 reps, or move on the the next protocol- 36:36 (more on that once I am there).

Check out Kenneth Jay's book by clicking the link below. Buy "Viking Warrior Conditioning" if you want to improve your athleticism or general fitness.


 Viking Warrior Conditioning

No comments:

Post a Comment